Weekly Wrap-Up: January 8-14

My surgery is scheduled for this Wednesday. The only new information I’ve got is that, according to the surgeon, it looks like more of a wear and tear type of injury rather than one that was caused by one specific thing, so really, a sneeze could have triggered it. This is a relief, because I was worried that I might have gotten it from picking up my 1 and a half year old nephew on Christmas. I mean, when he was standing there, looking at me, with his arms up, how could I say no? It would suck if that’s what caused my hernia, but luckily, it looks like that wasn’t the case. Also, it wasn’t caused by running, which is a relief.

I’ll still be able to run on Monday and Tuesday this week, but I don’t want to run the day of the surgery because I’ll be fasting and I’m not even allowed to drink water, which is less than ideal after a run. My plan is to start back up the following Monday, but if my recovery goes better than planned, I might be able to get in a run sooner.

Also, no pain this week. I will continue to knock on wood until Wednesday.

Oh yeah, still no Huntersville Half recap, or December wrap-up, or 2017 wrap-up. Maybe I can finish those while I’m on pain medication. They can’t be any worse than what I write sober.

Weight Check: 164.7 pounds, up 1.4 from last week. It wasn’t a great week of eating and drinking, and there was definitely less running than I’d like, so that means a weight gain. I guess it could have been worse.

This Week’s Runs
Day Total Miles
Tuesday 3.11
Wednesday 3.11
Friday 3.11
Saturday 3.11

Total: 12.44 miles

I probably should have run Monday, but it was 19 degrees. I’m not training for anything, and trying not to injure myself, and I knew the rest of the week would be warmer, so I skipped it.

I got back out there on Tuesday. I felt a little rusty, but not too terrible. The weather felt great compared to last week, but 31 is still pretty cold. I managed to gradually speed up along the way, with a big push at the very end. It was still a bit slower than I’d like, but not bad considering everything.

Wednesday was a good run, but you’ll have to take my word for it. I somehow screwed up and accidentally deleted the data for this run from my watch, so I had to try to estimate it. I knew my distance was 3.11 miles, and I’m pretty sure my overall average pace was 10:51/mile at the end, so I used a pace calculator to determine the time and rounded up to the nearest second. I believe my splits for each mile were around 11:07, 11:04, and 10:44, which, considering my recent runs, is really good. As far as the actual run, there was no hernia pain, and the rust was gone. The weather was almost perfect for me, 48 and overcast. I kept the effort fairly easy until late, but I was still able to keep up a pretty good pace. I’m really happy with this run, although I still can’t believe I deleted the data.

The weather was insane on Friday. 65 degrees and humid on January 12. It felt like July, but next week it’s supposed to drop back into the lower 20s and possibly upper teens. Go home, Mother Nature, you’re drunk. My legs felt OK, though. Not a great run, mainly due to the temperature and humidity, but at least I successfully saved it when I was done, so all the gory details were preserved.

Saturday, it definitely cooled off, 41 degrees, and while there wasn’t a lot of wind, any time the wind did blow, it cut right through me. The sun helped, though. My legs felt fine, and there was no hernia pain. I managed to speed up throughout the run despite only increasing my effort right near the end. I was happy with the result.

Like I said earlier, surgery on Wednesday this week. Once I’m recovered, hopefully I can get back into a routine.