Weekly Wrap-Up: March 5-11

I hate losing an hour. I’ll hate it even more when I have to run in the dark this week.

Also, my body still doesn’t want to run two days in a row.

Weight Check: 171.6 pounds, down 0.5 from last week. I was hoping for a bigger loss, but that beats the alternative. I haven’t completely switched over to low calorie soda, and there were a few times when I had full calorie Mountain Dew. I know this week will be difficult, with both the time change and stress from being on call, but hopefully I can manage it with one of the low calorie alternatives.

This Week’s Runs
Day Scheduled Total Miles
Monday 4 miles easy 4.01
Wednesday 4 miles easy 4.01
Friday 3 miles easy 3.11
Saturday 5 miles easy 5.01

Total: 16.14 miles

Monday was cold, but unlike the previous few days, there was no wind. My legs still felt kind of tired. I added in a few hills, and 4 miles was my longest run since early January, but I managed to slowly increase my pace throughout the run. I took walk breaks at 0.9, 1.9 and 2.9 miles. I still finished with an average pace that was faster than all my previous runs except the previous Friday, so even though I’m not quite back to where I want to be, I do feel like I’m improving.

On Wednesday, the weather didn’t feel too terrible, even with 100% humidity. I went out too fast, and suffered a bit in the middle miles as a result, but I did recover a little bit on the last mile. While I know that going out too fast on the first mile is almost always a bad idea, this is the first run in a long time where I was physically capable of going out too fast, so in a strange way, that’s progress. (I’ll still try not to go out too fast next time, though.)

Friday, I decided to hit the treadmill, not because I was afraid of going out too fast, but because I figured it would give my legs a break before Saturday’s 5 miler. I stayed at a 5.1 mph (11:46/mi) pace the entire time. My mind didn’t like it very much, but my legs felt fine.

On Saturday, the weather was really nice, upper 40s and partly cloudy. Even with the treadmill on Friday, my legs were still tired. It was pretty tough, and my longest run since before my surgery, but I got through it, and I did manage to speed up a little bit near the end.

So I’m still struggling with back-to-back days, which is disappointing, but hopefully I’ll get used to it again soon.

My 2017 wrap-up is almost done, so I should *fingers crossed* get it posted this coming week. Then I’ll just have to write up my 2018 goals, and monthly wrap-ups for January and February. Sigh.

Oh, and I have another week with Friday and Saturday runs, along with an extra mile mixed in. We’ll see how it goes.