Weekly Wrap-Up: March 19-25

Well, I’ll be going out of town this week for a funeral. My Uncle passed away. He was 82 and had been sick for a while, but it’s still sad.

It seems less important now, but my week of running wasn’t all that great.

Weight Check: 170.2 pounds, up 0.4 from last week. I’m not sure what happened. This coming week will be anything but normal with travel and everything, but I’ll just have to buckle down when I get back.

This Week’s Runs
Day Scheduled Total Miles
Monday 4 miles easy 4.01
Wednesday 4 miles easy plus Strides 3.11
Friday 3 miles easy 3.11
Saturday 6 miles easy 6.01

Total: 16.24 miles

On Monday, I had decent running weather, 53 and overcast. My legs felt better than last Monday (which isn’t saying much), but other than occasionally on the uphills and near the end when I was really pushing it, they didn’t feel very tired. I did manage to speed up at the end. I missed the perfect reverse split by 1 second (mile 2 in 11:54, mile 3 in 11:55), which is mildly disappointing, but I was still pretty happy with this run.

Wedenesday didn’t go so well. Conditions were terrible. It was 40 degrees, there was a mist the whole time I was out there (and with my headlamp on I could see it, which made it feel worse), there was occasional wind, and you’d think my legs would want to get me home ASAP, but they didn’t seem to want to move all that fast, either. They didn’t feel sore or fatigued, though (or maybe I just didn’t notice because I was cold). It’s rare that I can say that I should have done a run on the treadmill, but in this case, it’s true. I cut it short and skipped the strides. (I’ll write more about strides once I actually, you know, do them.)

On Friday, it was colder, 33 degrees, but dry, so I was much more comfortable. My legs felt OK. I tried to take it easy with a 6 miler on the schedule for Saturday, but I did speed up a little bit at the end.

Saturday…well, the weather was great, 47 and overcast. The run wasn’t.

I got chased by two different dogs on the first mile. That gave me an adrenaline boost which took me through the first 2 miles faster than I should have been going, and then when the adrenaline wore off, I just kept slowing down. By the time I got to the last mile, I had nothing left. I still managed to finish 6 miles, my longest run so far this year. It was pretty rough, though.

Next week, I’ll run when I can. I’ll be at my parents’ house for Easter, so I’ll probably wait until I get home next Monday before posting again.