Weekly Wrap-Up: April 9-15

I’ve often complained about races that have Michelob Ultra as their free “beer” after the race, so when a race changes to something more local (and also better, although that’s a pretty low bar), I feel like I should give them a shout out. So kudos to Charlotte Racefest, which was yesterday, and had beer from Olde Mecklenburg Brewery this year. The beer selection isn’t going to determine which race I run – even if I hadn’t had surgery in January, I probably still wouldn’t have run Racefest this year – but I’ll give them credit anyway.

This week, I finally started using my last pair of Adrenaline 17s, my 5th(!), which means that I also retired my 3rd pair of Adrenaline 17s. The 3rd pair led a good life, getting me through the Trophy Trot 10K and Huntersville Half Marathon. My last run in them was my 8 mile long run on Saturday.

Weight Check: 170.7 pounds, up 0.3 from last week. Well, that’s disappointing. I can’t really think of anything specific that caused that. Better luck next week, I hope. I had to replace the battery in my scale. Maybe the new battery is defective. Yes, blaming the battery in the scale is the last refuge of scoundrels.

This Week’s Runs
Day Scheduled Total Miles
Monday 4 miles easy plus Strides 4.76
Wednesday Fartlek: 15 minute warm-up 5×2 minutes hard with 2 minutes easy in between, 15 minutes easy cool down (or until 5 miles) 5.01
Friday 3 miles easy 3.11
Saturday 8 miles easy 8.01

Total: 20.89 miles

For the first time in what seems like forever, I ran exactly what my schedule said to run.

Monday was cool and damp, but I missed the rain. My legs were a little tired, but I survived. I took it easy on the first 4 miles, and I did OK on the strides at the end

On Wednesday, I got great running weather, 51 and overcast. My legs felt a little tired late in the run, but I think it was more of a “good workout” fatigue. It was easier to find the right paces during two minute intervals than last week’s one minute intervals. The 2nd fast interval was a little faster than I’d like, but otherwise, I ran them pretty well, I definitely pushed it on the last interval, and took a short walk break at the beginning of the cool down. I wanted to run 5 miles, so I added a bit to the end of the cool down. Overall, I was pretty happy with this run.

Friday also had nice running weather, 52 and sunny. My legs felt fine. I pushed a little bit at the end, but otherwise, just an uneventful 5K run in my neighborhood, and I’m OK with that. Also, it was my first run in my 5th pair (I still can’t believe that) of Adrenaline 17s.

On Saturday, it was warmer, 59, and a little humid, but there was an occasional breeze. My legs felt OK. I did stop a couple of times at water fountains since it was a little warmer than I’m used to. It wasn’t easy, my longest run since my half marathon in December, but I had enough left to push it on the last mile. And as I mentioned earlier, it was my last run in my 3rd pair of Adrenaline 17s, so I’m kind of glad the run ended well.

Next week, it’s a slight step-back, since I’ve got the Teal Diva 5K coming up on April 28th, less than 2 weeks away. Foam rolling will be back, apparently. And maybe, just maybe, I’ll start catching up on my monthly wrap-ups.