Weekly Wrap-Up: April 16-22

Still no January wrap-up. Busy week. I mostly got my running done on schedule, though.

Weight Check: 171.4 pounds, up 0.7 from last week. OK, now I’m starting to get annoyed. My diet may not have been perfect, but right now, I feel like I have no margin for error. And my parents are going to be here next weekend, so I’ll mostly be doing damage control this week (and probably the following week). Sigh.

This Week’s Runs
Day Scheduled Total Miles
Monday 5 miles easy plus Strides 5.06
Wednesday Fartlek: 15 minute warm-up, 5×3 minutes hard with 2 minutes easy in between, 15 minutes easy cool down (or until 5 miles) 5.01
Friday 3 miles easy 3.11
Saturday 6 miles easy 6.01

Total: 19.19 miles

Monday was a strange run. It was kind of windy, but the temperature was still pretty comfortable. I started a little late due to some, uh, bathroom issues. Maybe subconsciously I knew I didn’t have as much time as I’d like, so I sped up a little. My legs felt kind of tired, and I don’t know how much of it was from the 8 miles on Saturday, and how much of it was the fact that I was probably running faster than I should have been. Between the fatigue and the time constraints, I decided to only do 1 stride at the end. I wasn’t sure what to think about this run until I could see how my legs felt on Wednesday.

So on Wednesday, I was definitely curious to see how it would go. The weather was really nice, 54 and sunny. My legs were tired late, but I’m pretty sure it was because of the workout, not because of my previous runs. I really pushed it on the last interval, and had to take a walk break afterwards. Overall, it was a pretty good workout, and based on that, I’m pretty sure Monday was a fluke. Whew.

Friday was a bit colder than it’s been lately, 38, but still not too bad. My legs felt fine. I gradually sped up over the course of the run, and I pushed a bit at the end. Just an uneventful 5K worth of running in my neighborhood, and I’m OK with that.

I’m not sure what was going on Saturday morning, but for some reason, I just did not want to run. Because of that, I got a late start, and I decided to stay in my neighborhood instead of driving to a greenway. Once I finally did get out there, I was fine.

It was a cool start, 41 degrees, but it warmed up nicely. My legs felt a little bit of fatigue on the uphill parts, but otherwise they were OK. I kept the effort fairly easy until the end. Overall, I’m happy with it.

I’ve got a race next weekend, the Teal Diva 5K. Last year, the course was short, but we’re in a new location this year. Since it’s an out and back, I’ll know at the halfway point if it’s going to be an actual 5K. I’ll be happy if I can finish in under 30 minutes.

I’d really like to get a little bit caught up on my monthly recaps, but I’m not all that optimistic. We’ll see how the week goes.