Weekly Wrap-Up: April 23-29

I finished the Teal Diva 5K. I do wish it had started earlier than 9:30 so it would have been a few degrees cooler, but it was still fairly comfortable. My time wasn’t quite as good as I’d hoped, but it was still respectable. It was still fun, and they raised a bunch of money for ovarian cancer research, so that’s pretty cool. My nephews were sick and couldn’t make it, so I was bummed about that, but I’m sure they cheered me on from afar.

Weight Check: 172.5 pounds, up 1.1 from last week. Yeah, after the race we had a big party, and I overindulged. I’ll just have to work my way back down this week.

This Week’s Runs
Day Scheduled Total Miles
Monday 4 miles easy plus Strides 4.06
Wednesday 3 miles easy 3.11
Thursday 3 miles easy 3.11
Saturday Teal Diva 5K (with 1 mile warm-up) 4.11

Total: 14.39 miles

Monday had rain. It was mostly light but it did pick up a little bit near the end. (It would have been much worse if I waited another hour, though.) Temperatures were in the upper 50s with very little wind, so it wasn’t too terrible. My legs felt a little bit off. Most of it felt like a slog, but I did manage to pick things up a little bit on mile 4. Between my legs not feeling great and wanting to get out of the rain (not to mention my race coming up on Saturday), I just did one stride at the end. One of these days, I’m going to do the correct number of strides (typically 5-6), but Monday was not that day.

On Wednesday, I missed the rain (that waited until I had to drive to work) but it was still pretty damp. 57 degrees wasn’t too bad, though. I did some squats as part of my bodyweight routine on Tuesday, and I think I felt those squats on the first mile. After that, my legs loosened up, and my pace improved, with a nice push at the end.

Thursday, the weather was OK, 57 degrees again, but not as damp. My legs felt pretty good, definitely better than Wednesday. I did some foam rolling Wednesday night, and I think that really helped. I didn’t really push the pace until the end, but I ended up going faster than I expected. Just a really nice run.

Saturday was my race, with a 1.01 mile warm-up before it. I’ll do a full write up of the race, but the quick summary is that I probably went out a little too fast, struggled a bit on the last mile because of it, but did manage to rally right near the end.

I have my January 2018 monthly wrap-up completed, I’ll just wait until Monday (you know, the last day of April) to publish it. I’ll work on my other monthly reports (and on Tuesday, April is over and another monthly wrap-up gets added to my to do list) and a race report for the Teal Diva 5K.

Maybe I’ll even do some running, too.